Saturday, August 18, 2012

Mid-Summer Honey

The mid-summer harvest went well. Both hives seem to be building up at about the same rate. We were able to extract a medium super off each hive leaving four mediums for the bees.

The last frame on each super had not been fully drawn out so I swapped them out for one of the empty frames on the supers I added. This is one of the reasons I will be switching over to eight frame mediums; those outside frames are hard to get drawn out. Also, in eight frame mediums the bees are less likely to eat themselves into a corner and not be able to move up into the honey stores.

1 comments:

meemsnyc said...

What beautiful wrapped jars of honey!
I just found your blog, I hope you continue writing!
http://nycgardening.blogspot.com

Post a Comment